Labor management is a critical part of running a successful restaurant business. However, juggling a weekly shift schedule can be an overwhelming and time-consuming process for a restaurant manager or operator. Traditionally, managers in the restaurant industry relied on a combination of bulletin boards, sticky notes, and spreadsheets to manage shifts. However, restaurants are now leveraging technology to manage their employees better. Labor management technology is used to ensure the needs of the staff are met while reducing labor costs.
Why Restaurant Labor Management is Important
When restaurant employees are properly managed, they are motivated to perform better. Labor management technology helps in motivating staff, reducing their work-related frustrations, and increasing their overall performance. This has been made possible by several apps and software that handle certain aspects of labor management. The technology also helps in eliminating mundane and repetitive tasks, which can be boring to employees or cause burnout. Other important areas that the labor management technology improves include employee productivity, communication, training, and reducing instances of employee theft.
Restaurant Labor Management Software
Restaurant management software improves the efficiency and usage of the labor force. It comes with advanced features that streamlining the management of staff in an employee. Some of the vital features include attendance and time tracking, payroll report generation, validation of employee clock-ins and -outs, and management of new hires, terminations, and transfers.
Features of restaurant labor management software support the management of the staff. The restaurant manager can use the software to create and manage schedules, track payroll, check restaurant’s compliance to labor law, and enhance employee communication. The software may also help in managing overtime data, time cards, server’s sales data, restaurant labor cost and hours, shifts management, and labor scheduling. All these features are integrated in one place to streamline the entire process.
Restaurant labor management software plays a critical role in labor laws compliance. Normally, navigating all the laws and regulations manually can be confusing and laborious. The software automates the process by allowing you to choose and enforce the appropriate compliances with federal, state, local and company laws. It also enables you to enforce the best labor practices and overtime guidelines depending on your locations of restaurant operations.
Employee Management Software
Running a successful restaurant business involves managing a large workforce. You will usually need to manage separate shifts, especially during peak days. Restaurant owners and managers may find the management of employees overwhelming, especially when several shifts are involved in a day. You want to ensure that each employee is accounted for and that shifts occur seamlessly.
Employee management software is beneficial to a restaurant in several ways. It helps in managing every aspect of the workforce from shift scheduling, pay slips, to employee benefits. You no longer have to use old-fashioned Excel or paper-based employee spreadsheets. Employee management software is designed to ease the struggle of managing the restaurant workforce. Restaurant owners and their managers can easily schedule employees shifts and keep everyone involved.
Among the effective employee management software available is the restaurant tip pool software. When the software is integrated via Omnivore, it automates almost the entire tip pooling process. This eliminates the risk of human errors and slashes the time spent by managers on the tip pool by 95%.
Restaurant Scheduling Software
Restaurant scheduling software includes tools used to manage work schedules for servers, chefs, cooks, and other restaurant employees. The software automates the process by helping to track the availability of the employees and those who have requested time off. It helps in overcoming human-related errors related to manually creating employees’ schedules. Any errors can cause confusion among the managers or reduce the morale of the employees. On the contrary, a properly implemented restaurant scheduling software brings some important functionalities to labor management:
- POS Integration: The restaurant scheduling software integrates into the POS system to forecast labor and sales requirements.
- Mobile Access: Users of the software can view and modify schedules on their mobile devices depending on their availability.
- Time Clock Integration: Software keeps track of both clock-in and clock-outs through an online web portal or a wall clock. This information can be shared with the finance department for accurate calculations of labor costs and salary payments.
- Optimal Schedule Creation: Software tracks all important factors, including employee availability, business requirements, and leave details. This helps in avoiding any conflicts and ensure schedules and shifts transition efficiently.
- Certification Tracking: Software shows which workers are certified to do certain things on the restaurant and their availability.
- Reporting: Software allows automatic generation of reports based on factors like hours worked, labor budget, sick leaves or paid time-offs, sales and more.
Digital Employee Timesheets
Employee timesheets are helpful tools for managing employee shifts. They track the time they clock in and out of the restaurant, and allows them to manage shifts on their own. The timesheets may come as a complete software or an app for restaurant scheduling software. They support employees’ communication, auto scheduling, shift swapping, and efficient team management. For instance, an employee may request a coworker to cover for them and indicate so in the software. Such minor changes are automated allowing employees to swap their schedules without having to wait for the manager’s approval.
Employee timesheets may take the form of time card apps that track the time an employee spends on job or tasks. However, this information is automatically shared over the internet to allow managers to keep track of the progress of the employees at job. It eliminates the need to keep guessing whether a certain employee is at work since the information is always available remotely, regardless of the manager’s location.
Benefits of Labor Management Technology
Labor management provides several benefits to a restaurant while overcoming the weaknesses of manual scheduling with paper or spreadsheets. The major benefits include:
- Improved communication: Labor management provides real-time scheduling in which managers and workers can stay up to date with the schedule even when someone will not be showing up. With some software providing email or text notification, communication is enhanced so that no gap is left at any given point.
- Increased automation: Labor management increases automation through reusable temples that can be used to create schedules instantly. Shift swapping and reminders are also automated, eliminating this burden from the management.
- Controlled labor costs: Labor management software with an integrated payroll system allows you to accurately compensate your employees for the hours worked, and save labor cost wastage.
- More Accurate scheduling: Labor management automates the scheduling process, including factors like worker availability, certification, and preferences. No need for the management to keep repeating the same tasks over and over again.
- Remotely track attendance: Labor management software can be accessed easily on mobile devices. This allows restaurant managers and owners to remotely track their employees and the time they spend at work.
Restaurant labor management technology plays a critical role in ensuring proper management of employees. It automates the process, allowing restaurant owners and managers to keep track of their employees at all times. It also allows employees to contribute by choosing their shifts and how they can swap with others depending on availability.