Running your restaurant comes with its own set of challenges. You have to schedule staff shifts, keep your menu up-to-date, focus on customer service, and more. However, one of the most essential things you need is an effective food inventory management system.
Tons of food go to waste every day as a direct result of poor inventory management. By automating your restaurant inventory controls, you can maximize your profit and reduce food waste in the process. But where should you start?
In this article, we will discuss the following key points:
- What is restaurant inventory management?
- How do restaurants take inventory?
- Why use inventory software?
- What features does the software need?
- Best practices for tracking restaurant inventory.
- How much does the software cost?
- What types of restaurants need inventory management?
- Free inventory management software and tools.
Are you ready to explore all the essential pieces of taking inventory in your restaurant? Let’s dive in!
1. Restaurant Inventory Management: What Is It?
Restaurant inventory management is the process of analyzing your food supply, making the most of what you have, and using this information to inform your next purchases.
Restaurant inventory systems are essential tools that can help you reduce food waste and costs, while also maximizing your profits. Before we jump into specifics, let’s define some key terminology you should know.
- Inventory: This is the amount of product you have in-house. You can refer to this either in terms of dollar value or by physical amount, but whatever you choose, be sure to use that method consistently.
- Depletion: This refers to the amount of product used in a cert